02 May 2009

The increase of age .. the retention of optimism


At 58 and thinking of my youth - of course I miss the health, the physical strength, the vitality, the exhuberance for life but I also miss the naivity ... sometimes.

And yet I don't really want to go back to being a sweet young thing - and, that, despite that life was very tough sometimes - but youth gave to me a beguiling optimism, a sense that all things would work out alright in the end, that fair play was possible and that we humans would arrive at a watershed, leaving behind the old, ugly way of managing things and, to the fore, a Star Trekkian existence with distant stars in our reach and the cosmos our oyster. The human race or those able to trace their origins back to the human race, living long and prospering - forever after.

And I still love all the old Star Trek films which perhaps more than any individual built into me a belief in human nature as offering solutions to the problems our kind has struggled with century in, century out .. but into the new century it's been kind of hard not to notice that people are still making the same dumb mistakes for the same dumb reasons.

Even so, I still can't quite erase that old feeling of, we're going to make it. Or those who follow in our footsteps will.

But not by waiting for outside help. It's got to come from us.

Because, we're all we've got.

No comments: