06 May 2009

Chanel No. 5


"Coco Chanel commissioned Ernest Beaux to make six perfumes. They were labelled No. 1, No. 2, etc. through No. 6. It was bottle No.5 that was to Chanel's liking and became the chosen formula."

Link - Chanel No. 5

I'd always stupidly thought that Coco Chanel had some direct involvement in the mixing of her famous potion.

Chanel No 5 was a favourite perfume of mine when I was in my twenties. It was not heavy but distinctive. I considered it so, anyway.

I don't wear perfume any more as it happens, I have an allergic reaction to strong smells. Which is not only a shame but a huge handicap since so many others are not so likewise troubled.

However, I read in this article that "Laboratory tests have shown that Chanel No. 5 contains secretions from the perineal glands of civet cats. Civet is a powerful fixative, making the scent last a long time."

After protests that civet is harvested in a cruel way, in 1998 the Chanel company took the generous, and some might say astute, course of replacing civet with a synthetic substitute.

I can't tell you how that's affected the perfume, read above vis a vis the allergy thing.

But I can tell you that I was affected with a special warmth for the Wertheimer family.

Link - Laelaps - Is there a civet in your perfume?

"Why not just cut out the middle-man and press a civet’s butt to your arms, neck, or chest?"

Well said that woman!

No comments: